[VAC] Re: Univolt

Strange.  My owner's manual states that when I'm hooked up to 'city power',
the Univolt automatically charges the battery.
Practically speaking, it's not a peak charge, though.  Modern units will add
to the battery life.
I'd wager your original battery is shot.  Might want to take the battery out
of the family car - with winter comming a new one wouldn't hurt - and put it
in the AS for now.
In my Caravel (not an International) the wiring is simple.  Shore power
feeds three circuit breakers - one to the Univolt, one to the convenience
outlets, and one to the air conditioner.  Shut off the air and Univolt
power, and what's left is just the convenience outlets.  Plug in a small
table lamp, and nothing else.  If it's as bright as when you plug it in in
your house, you have close to 120v.. if it's dim, you do not - there is some
kind of resistance between your shore power and your lamp. .  If it does not
glow at all, there's an open somewhere.
If the lamp is bright, turn on a couple other appliances, and maybe kick the
univolt breaker back on.  If that causes the lamp to dim, this is also an
indication of resistance somewhere.  How are you feeding the power to the AS
?  I connect with a special RV extention cord.  Don't know the guage, but at
least 12 guage,  not accounting for the air conditioning.  If the AS is more
than 20-30 feet from power, go with 10 guage.
Unplug shore power, and check the connections.  Some extention cords use
screw terminals - remove and clean them.  Contact surfaces and wire should
be shiny.  Do the same for the terminal connections in the circuit breaker
box.
Inadequate wire or dirty contacts are sources of resistance - and will
reduce the end voltage.  They also generate heat - and are a fire hazard.

Good luck.

Dan