[VAC] Window Rock Guards

I have window rock guards on my '78 and figure they are well worth the
money in that to replace one of the curved windows was $700.00 about
four years back by a member of our WBCCI unit.  However, if you are
talented you might be able to form your own lexan guards.  Check the
Patterson site as a few years back someone had done this and gave some
detail on how to heat and form the Lexan.  Another safe guard for
traveling is to have a canvas cover with some some insulation material
behind canvas.  A tent and awning outfit could help you here.  You
probably could save a few bucks.  However, look at the "regulation"
guards as an insurance policy and over the years it amortizes out for
not a lot of expense.   Plus I like the looks of the "mask" on front.
See me web site below for Argosy.  Included below is from WBCCI Blue
Beret which speaks to a rock guard for lower part of trailer using ABS
plastic.  It may be give you some ideas to consider.  Note that ABS
plastic is not translucent and this project is a permanent mount.
==========
PHRED SIIZ:
J. Fred Ettline, WBCCI #27910

Tough. Inexpensive Stone Guards

Dear Fred,
	After the conclusion of this years ³Wild Rainbow² Caravan to
west central British Columbia, which included combat with high speed
logging trucks on gravel roads, I observed that all the Airstream
trailers had sustained damage, including punctures, to the lower front
surfaces of the trailer skin or damage to the polished stainless steel
Airstream Stone Guards. I concluded that there had to be a better, more
rugged, yet pleasing material that could stand this abuse. A solution is
installation or substitution of hand made ABS (ductile plastic) stone
guards. This is about a $50, eight hour project.
	Materials:
	€A 4 foot x 4 foot x 1/8 inch thick sheet of black ABS sheet
(textured on one side)
	€Eight, 1/4-20, aluminum threaded inserts (Stanley or Nutserts)
	€Eight, 1/4-20 x 3/4 inch, stainless steel, binder head screws
	€Thirty two, 1/4 inch, stainless steel, large area, flat washers
	€3 foot x 4 foot of heavy wrapping paper
	Tools:
	€3/8 drill bit and drill motor
	€Saber saw or keyhole saw with medium blade
	€Medium file
	€Scissors and masking tape
	Make a pattern of the finished shape of the new stone guards by
taping paper to the one side of the lower front trailer surface and
tracing the finished shape. Cut out the pattern and recheck it. You will
see that the top and bottom edges are curves and the two vertical edges
are not parallel. Transfer the pattern shape to the ABS sheet using
masking tape to outline the edges on this black surface. Turn the
pattern over to mark the shape of the other side (mirror image). Drill
3/8 inch holes 1 1/2 inches from each of the 4 corners. Saw cut the ABS,
round the corners for a nice appearance, and file the cut edges smooth.
Using the ABS stone guards themselves, fix the location of the threaded
inserts. Drill 3/8 inch holes in the aluminum skin and install the
threaded inserts. If you are concerned that the threads of the inserts
might leak water, use a drop of Loktite Thread Seal on the 1/4 inch
screws at final installation. Attach the ABS stone guard to the trailer
skin with the binder head screws using one washer on the outside surface
and three washers on the inside surface (so as to space the stone guards
away from the trailer skin). The finished appearance very nicely matches
the shaded window Wrap Protectors of newer Airstreams. I will furnish a
picture upon request.

Sincerely,
Jim Dempsey, #6304

Roy Lashway