[A/S] Re: [VAC] Trans Coolers

Don't know what the durango's got for transmission cooling in the towing
package, but we (the cat and i) just towed 7,000 lbs x 24' on a tandem axle
3,000 miles. The trans hot light came on once, on a long grade through the
northern rockies in wyoming... not the usual 'mountain passes' one thinks
of, but loooong grades. shifted into 2nd, slowed progress, and maintained a
40-50mph speed until the light went off... The 40-50mph crosswinds were a
big factor... on a calm day, i doubt that the trans would have got hot as it
did.

really like the idea of the stacked plate trans-cooler, though... and i
think i've found the limit of the durango's hauling capacity.

were i to do this kind of thing on a regular basis, and based on the
feedback from the Airstream lists, i'd go for the PowerSmoke Diesel (maybe
even a dual-rear-wheel), the lowest-geared rear end, and a Hensley hitch.
This definitely was NOT a case of 'i barely knew it was there'...and keeping
both hands at 10 and 2 for nine hours a day is not my idea of 'fun'.

Tuna
Reno, NV
WBCCI#8862/VAC
'48 Trailwind/'49 FrankenJeepster
'99 Parker 24' flatbed/'99 Durango ('magnum' V8)
'83 'Burro'/'99 Prowler
'82 Alii-Kai/'79 'Champion'
and now, a '62 Kaiser-Willys FC-170 RustBucket