[VAC] Trans Coolers

Hello to all,
I just thought I would throw in my two cents on trans. coolers.
I tow a '31 travel trailer with an automatic transmission (a much
modified TH700R4) and use a 28,000lb stacked plate cooler from B&M.
It does a good job as witnessed by four trips up and down Grapevine Pass
recently with the trans. never exceeding 280 degrees Fahrenheit.
This trip also included Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas during the hottest
part of the summer.
I must add that I use Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid and a remote filter
mount.
To those who might not know what the difference in some trans coolers are
I will tell you to never go with a tube & fin when you can go with a
stacked plate design due to the restriction the fluid "sees" as it go
through the tube & fin cooler. This can increase trans line pressure and
not only fry your trans but can also shorten main bearing life and/or
break your crankshaft due to a "ballooned" torque convertor.
I mounted my cooler on a custom (but simple) mount in front of my engine
radiator I made out of scrap steel. Many people use nylon ties but I have
heard of some bad cases of these failing with a fried transmission as a
result.
I also used bent stainless line on mine (Bending tubing is one of my
jobs/hobbies) rather than the rubber line that comes with most kits
because it has never lasted over a year or two for me.
I need to also add the B&M stacked plate 28,000lb cooler uses 1/2" tapped
holes as apposed to rubber hose bungs so you must use fittings with it.
To sum it up, go with the largest cooler you can find and use any of the
above info as optional. As always, e-mail any questions you might have.
By the way, has anyone heard from Hunter lately?
Mike
Tuscumbia,AL (for now!)