[VAC] Re: Stereo Installation, 69 Overlander Int'l

Hi Jeff,
    Been there done that! Sounds like you have the same problem I encountered in my ' 70 Overlander. The problem was AC noise riding on the DC output of the AC/ DC converter. On my converter, 4 of the 7 outputs were filtered and guess which one wasn't? The one feeding the radio and the cigarette type outlet near the TV antenna connector. Have the "Bozos" throw a DVM on the circuit they want to use, set it first to DC, then AC. Mine had 20 volts AC on the DC line. I only popped the noise filter capacitor on the DC line in to the radio. Check at the outputs of your converter, doing the same DVM drill. If you find one(or more) that are filtered, they probably will have only 20-50 millivolts of AC noise riding on them. BE SURE AND OBSERVE THE DECIMAL POINT ON THE METER!  Isolate the circuit nearest the radio  by pulling fuses and swap that circuits leads to a filtered circuit. I'm not sure about Univolts, but I have a Magnatek and the swap is easily made. Most of the other circuits are for lights and fans and they don't care as much about noise as radios and electronics do.
    I should have been suspicious when I plugged my cell phone's car charger into the convenience outlet and it blanked out, but it didn't  register at the time.
If none of the outputs are filtered,  I'd suggest buying a new converter, as most of the new ones have very quiet circuits and for a small additional charge have "smart" battery charging add-on modules that will prolong the life and health of your batteries.
                                                            Happy Hunting.
                                                            Walt Sandy
S. W. Sandy
WBCCI # 4159 & VAC