[VAC] Stereo Installation, 69 Overlander Int'l

Friends:
I have been trying to get a modern car stereo installed in my 69 Overlander International for a few months now.  I picked a JVC AM/FM/Cassette head unit & 12 disc CD changer for size & price to install in the left front overhead of the 69 OL (where the 8-track once was).  The bozos at Circuit (Screwup) City have struck out X3 on this so far.  The first install would buzz from any static & stop altogether whenever the water pump went on.  It lasted thru 3 hours of use.  The second install (to the fused 12v line off the control panel) lasted almost two days before dying, same problem w/ the water pump.  I replaced the head unit (fried w/in 24 hours) & now have another new JVC unit waiting at the Screwup City installation bay .
If you have done this, please advise.  I am using some "vintage" 8 ohm Recoton diecast two ways in the speaker enclosures (like Radio Shack Optimus 7's).  I'm not sure which of the three 12v circuits to use for power & whether filtration is necessary.  Is there any way to get the stereo to keep trucking thru a 12v pull like a water pump "cycle on" episode?  I suspect the speaker wires are compromised & possibly grounded as every head unit has heated up considerably before failing.
Any advice is welcome.  As far as I can see the current setup has discreet (not common) returns on the speaker wires.
Jeff Miller
69 Overlander Int'l