[VAC] Re: Tips requested; 1971 Tradewind 25 foot

Jack:

As an indicator of price of comparable units, check the Internet  ( ebay
etc) and the various RV sales places for asking prices.... actual sale
prices will not be available in many cases... If you have the time, you can
shop for the lowest price or the unit with the most appeal...

Bear in mind that original is not necessarily the best indicator of
value... 30 year old appliances etc... lack of a grey water tank, small
black water tank, etc...  A unit of that age is usually a candidate for
retrofit of some kind...

The "book value" is generally not available for units beyond 20 years old,
as they become largely a candidate for individual appraisal by the most
experienced Airstream restorer..  In the end, the value is what you are
willing to pay for it...

You can expect your concept of Ideal length to change over the first couple
of years of ownership with the longer trailer becoming more desirable ( in
most cases) as you  decide to spend more time in the unit.... or shorter if
you decide to make more short trips and spend little time in the
unit...some units will fit in the drive and some won't... what is your
pleasure (at the moment)???

We currently have two units, our 23' starter (in the drive) and a 31' "new
to us" unit.... Logic says get rid of the one you like least, which would
probably be the 23'... but it is not an easy choice...It would have been
less expensive overall to pay more money to get the 31' first and not go
through spending a lot of cash on the 23'  that we would not get back on a
sale...

Beware of "two-foot-itis" ,   which causes an upgrade every couple of years
to a size about 2' longer than the one you have.... also affects boat
owners.....

Jim
jec1938@corecomm.net