[VAC] how to buy my first Airstream- Help!

Kevin....

Thanks for all the thought full information!

>After having towed my '64 Overlander with three tow vehicles, I would
>definitely want to be sure that my truck was a 3/4 ton with a large V8.

I have a 1972 Ford V8 Camper Special that I believe will do the job.

>Repairs aren't going to be that much different between a trailer of the '60s
>as compared to the mid '70s.

OK.  I like the look of the '60 models better anyway.

>If your primary concern that is preventing you from considering a 60s coach
>is parts availability, don't let this immediately deter you.  So long as the
>coach is in good condition to begin with, there isn't a tremendous problem
>with finding most wear parts.

Ah!  OK.

>I looked at both rear and
>side/center bath models and quickly ruled out side/center baths as they
>proved much too claustraphobic for me - - I really like the openness of the
>rear bath in my Overlander.

Hummm.  I never considered the size of the bathroom.  I am a big guy, so
maybe I should look at the rear bath models and just deal with the rear
tail droop problem.

>I am sure that someone on the list can fill you
>in on identifying frame droop - - I know it has something to do with ripples
>in the skin in the vicinity of the wheel openings - - and a steel plate of
>some type is visible on the frame in the wheel well area if the repair has
>been made.

OK.  Perhaps someone will post a picture of this.

>  A second potential problem is rear frame separation where the
>rear bumper moves independently of the rear of the coach when firm, heavy
>pressure is applied to the rear bumper - - this was a problem that was
>beginning to develop on my coach which was stopped by removing the
>aftermarket rear mounted spare tire carrier and repaired by reinforcing the
>frame and some of the rear outriggers.

New information.  OK, I will keep this in mind.

>  A number of listees have written of
>converting their rigs from HydraVac discs to standard drum type
>electrics - - cost can be quite a factor especially if done by a dealer.

Could someone on the list post a ballpark price for having a dealer install
standard drums/electric?
Sounds like this is the way to go??

>Good luck with your decision and hunt!

Thanks for the great tips!!