[VAC] Tail Sag

Hi to all,
I have a '72 International rear bath (no grey water tank) that has a
little sag due to the frame where the axles bolt on.
I looked under and saw a couple of small wrinkles between the axles on
the frame.
Airstream was good enough to send me a picture of the reinforcment plates
so that I could make my own but the instructions that told how to install
it said one must remove the axles to attach it.
I don't have a problem making the plate but lifting that much weight to
remove the axles sounds mucho dangerous as I have to do it outside in my
yard.

What do you folks think of just making a shorter plate to bolt between
the axles?
I would not have to remove the axles that way.
I do not live anywhere near a dealer so the "take it to the dealer"
option is out.
Thanks much,
Mike Kent