[VAC] Re:

Bert,
 When I was going over our 1968 G.T., I decided I wanted to remount the
little 'hitch ball' that's used by the sway control. To my mind, the
best way was to drill and tap for 3/8-24 (fine thread) instead of those
big ol' sheetmetal screws. Imagine my surprise when I found the lower
part of the 'A' frame channel too badly rusted to hold threads.
Actually, it wasn't all that surprising because the umbilical cord was
routed into the top of that channel, then through it to the connection
point under the belly; it directs water right into the 'A' frame.

Although I towed the trailer on a few trips, I never used spring bars.
Didn't feel they were needed with the light tongue weight and didn't
want to put the extra strain on the 'A' frame. Later in the season, my
buddy and I removed the belly skin in the front and cut the 'A' frame
off about 4" ahead of the trailer body. It looked good at that point, so
we fabricated a new 'A' frame from 4" channel, welded on a new hitch
(from Northern Tool), installed the jack mounting plate, etc, then
welded it onto the stubs of the original frame. Boxed it in with some
1/4" flat stock, painted it, and called it "good". I was prepared to go
back as far as necessary to get to good metal, of course. We reinstalled
the belly skin and she was good to go. I doubt that the total cost was
$200.00, including the bug bomb of aluminum paint. I'm fortunate enough
to have MIG and stick welding equipment. :-)

Needless to say, I did NOT reinstall the umbilical cable in the 'A'
frame!

A couple of years ago, a lady in this forum posted a story and pictures
of the 'A' frame failure on their A/S during a coast-to-coast trip. I
suspect that this is not at all uncommon on older trailers and is
something worth checking.

                                      <<Jim>>