[VAC] 1959 light

You folks have been wonderful to help.  Another mystery with my '59 Overlander.  Was working on the light outside the door.  The socket was rusted out; the bulb was intact though is was loose from its base.  The bulb had two terminals though it was shaped like the bulb for an AC night light.  I purchased a new socket at Airstream and put a two terminal DC bulb in it.  I was sure it was DC.  It had two wires. Boom!  It immediately blew the bulb when I turned in on. The battery was not connected, only the AC. How could it be an AC light in a metal socket attached to the aluminum skin? Now I am stuck again.
Carl