[VAC] 8-Track Repaired

The 8-Track tape player in my '77 Sovereign did not work, so I decided to see if there was anything I could do about it.

It was a bit difficult getting the "box" it was mounted in apart There are some friction clips holding it together, and you have to pull a bit to get it apart.

I removed the player, and took off the bottom plate to find that the belt that drives the tape player had disintegrated into a sticky goo.

I used some nail polish remover and Q-Tips to clean the motor drive and the flywheel (which simply lifts out, once you remove the bracket that holds it in place..

I then searched the web to find where I could find a replacement belt. After several frustrating days, I finally found Action Electronics, at: http://www.action-electronics.com . While they don't list specific tape player models and which  belts they need, they do explain how to measure and order a belt.

I ended up ordering part number PRB-FRZ11.0 The grand total, including shipping, was around $10.50.

I received the new belt, installed it, managed to get it all back together with no extra parts (a rare occurrence for me :-), and it worked!

A good source of 8-track tapes is Goodwill. They sell them for 97 cents.

Dave

Dave Lowrey - dave_lowrey@yahoo.com

1977 31' Sovereign (center bath)
Cincinnati, Ohio