[VAC] Re: A question about springs

This is the original spring and axle on the 61 Tradewind. My aunt and uncle
had it from new. The only thing that has been done to it was my uncle had
the springs rearced at Longview spring and frame once when they stopped to
visit us in the seventies. He thought the springs were sagging and wanted
more ground clearance. The part that worries me are the plates under the
springs because if the tire blew out it appears that the plate and u-bolt
ends would rub the ground. The present axle tows beautifully. Don Horn's
Avion has a similar setup and the spring holder looks like it hangs down
below the rim also, so this may have been the way things were back then.
Phil