[VAC] Re: A question about springs

Holy s#%@ Batman!  What the heck is that?  Off hand I'd say someone
either modified the heck out of the axle, or someone replaced the
original with a utility trailer axle. They can't of rotated the
original, because the only choice would be the wheel to contact the
wheel wells fore or aft, or it would be out of the wheel well completely
if rotated 180degs.  I've never seen an early Airstream shock on the
inside of the leaves before, and as a matter of fact, the axles of that
era were square tubes & also not of the trailing link type.

The more I think about it, it looks like someone stuck a utility trailer
axle on that poor '61, using the existing frame attach points, and this
was the only way to get it to fit.  Man, now that is a candidate to
replace with a new Dexter or Henschen axle!

For those on Digests, I posted Phil's picture at:
http://members.home.net/dial/axle.jpg

RJ