[VAC] Tricky Leak

I am trying to track down a leak that seems to originate in the stove
vent that is (in my '77 tradewind) an integral part of the AS Central
Control panel.  I removed the caulk that ran across the top of the
moveable vent cover and replaced it with a bead of Vulkem, but that
didn't seem to help at all.  I think that I may need to run some caulk
along the seams that are under the vent cover, but it is attached to the
operating lever by a couple of stiff wires.  I didn't see an easy to
disconnect them.  Has anyone else encountered a leak in this area?  Any
suggestions?

Lincoln Soule
1977 Tradewind