[VAC] We're Back

Hi All,
I used the discussion group some time ago but haven't been participating for a while.

Here's our story. We are Mike and Lisa Thornton.  We have two children Ben and Rebecca, 6 years old.  We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 trailers.  Hence the e-mail address 'silverark'.  We are originally from California but transplanted to Eustis, Florida almost 4 years ago.

Our Airstream history includes our first purchase of the 1965 Safari.  This trailer was completely gutted.  The rear floor had to be replaced.  The plan was to gut it and make it how we wanted.  Which we are still working on.  It is towable and we actually took it camping last Thanksgiving to Cape San Blas, Florida.

Our second purchase was a 1954 Safari.  This one has a brief but interesting story.  We were out for a Sunday drive and found it for sale in a horse pasture.  We bought it on the spot.  After several months of contemplating what to do with it we decided to sell it.  A gentleman from Belgium bought the trailer.  He flew to Florida and liked what he saw.  I towed it to Jacksonville the next day and put it on a ship headed for Europe.  His planned use was for something other than a travel trailer.  Before it departed we were able to strip the inside giving us some new bed bases and overhead cabinets for the 65 Safari.  Very nice aluminum bases and cabinets.  We look back on it now and really regret selling that one.  Oh well, live and learn.

This brings me to our third and current project.  A 67 Ambassador.  Where do I start.  How 'bout where most restorations start.  The bathroom floor.  In this case it is the bathroom floor and the rear frame.  I've gaken the entire bathroom out.  The tub is sitting in the front since it will not fit out the door.  Trailers are an excellent example of reversre engineering.  Trailers were built from back to front.  It is difficult taking them apart back to front.

I will be taking it into the wedling shop in the next few weeks to have the frame evaluated.  I will be redoing the streetside kithchen.  New cabinets with a new layout.  I also have to line up a sofa or sometype of dinnete for the front.  Mine is missing.  The previous owners were living in this one so there are quite a few little things to work on.  In addition to the serveral major things.

While I have not done a full floor replacement like Dave I do consider myself an expert on floor removal and replacement.

Well that's about it for right now.  I do have one question or point of discussion.  Aluminum wiring - My trailer has it.  I don't plan on using it but wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Here's a link to our pictures.  I don't have any of the Ambassador out there yet.

http://home.mpinet.net/silverark/

- Mike Thornton

1965 Safari
1967 Ambassador International Double