[VAC] Re: REDONE 70'S TRAILER ON EBAY

Chris,
I wonder which spirit you are talking about, because I think just the
opposite.  The fifties trailers I own and have owned were clean lined
and expressed the best of their period while I feel the 80's and 90's
Airstream design owed more to the tv show "Golden Girls" than it did
either to the "airstream spirit" or to the best design trends of that period.

Those wood overhead cabinets look great, as do those plain cherry drawer
fronts.  What is great about this interior is its lack of fussy detail
and unnecessary decoration.

  As to weight --- Look at the trend to heavy stuff that goes into the
new trailers!  I of course, don't know how much the weight balance has
increased with those Corian counter tops and some of the other items
this guy added; but speaking to the clean lines and simplicity of design
and layout, I'd say he's more in tune with the spirit of Airstream than
what's coming out of the factory today.

 That said, I agree with you on added weight and am going to ask this
guy what the rig weighs now compared to before.  I also wonder if he put
the tanks away from the tail to ease one of the 70's major errors.  It
gripes me to no end when designers go over the top to justify their
fees.

I'm betting we don't even disagree. So I'm guessing you don't really
think the design, as such, is counter to the Airstream Spirit, but the
use of obviously heavy materials, instead of lighter plywoods and
composite counters rightly rubs you the wrong way and you find THAT
opposed to your idea of Airstream Spirit.  Anyone could achieve almost
exactly the same visual effect with laminates and thinner, lighter
plywoods rather than the denser materials.

I say, ad nauseum, that you can build a truly beautiful house for the
same amount of money you built the ugly one for - so there is no excuse!
My $.02 and then way more :c)
Tom Walden