[VAC] Copper Tubing

Two years ago, my husband and I restored our 1969 Overlander.  One major
upfit was to entirely replace the plumbing with Pex/Lowes Brand plastic
tubing, as well as water pump and water heater.

The mass of fittings in the rear hatch (and around the pump, tank, drains and
heater too) required a good bit of planning and sketching, measuring and
replanning.  In any place to install the Pex, you have to realize that the
fittings that are unreachable with the crimper tool, must be made before
other fittings with the parts outside the camper (on the ground or camper
floor  usually).  The last fittings crimped in an area, must be in the area
that is accessable.  ie located in the door opening.  I assembled all the
drain valves and tee's and elbows which were in a real difficult to reach
places, on the ground outside, using careful measurements and rethinking each
connection before making.  Ok I had to cut out a few joints, and re-cut some
tube lengths.  You should take all your measurements and photos too and do
some good sketching of the exisitng plumbing, before you remove the old.
Then cut your tubing and number the lengths, and dry fit it all together in
place to ensure it fits, before crimping the first fitting.  Crimp the hardes
to reach places first and work towards the easiers.

Where I had angles of rotated tees or elbows, I found that while dry fitted
in place, it helped to take a "Sharpie" marker and mark a line across the
fitting and tubing so that when I reassembled outside the camper to make the
crimps, I could match the mark and end up with the right angle of rotation.

Best advice I can put into one sentence is this:  Dry fit everything in a
tubing run, before crimping, then crimp in order of hardest to reach to the
easiest to reach.  It's not so easy a baby could do it, but it ain't rocket
surgery either.

Best Wishes,
Brenda Mottern  '69 Overlander