[VAC] Re: Anyone for Stripping

If the stripping is not done in a manner (or with a stripper) that does not
affect the caulking applied at time of manufacture, every joint MAY leak.
After decades of weathering and wear & tear your caulk may be in excellent
condition, or perhaps just barely keeping the water out. Stripper will eat
at the caulk if it comes in contact with it. Rinsing the stripper tends to
wash it into the nooks and crannies where the caulk is.

Leaks on my trailer have appeared from most any joint. Yes vents windows and
doors are common places for leaks to develop, but I have also found that the
roof seams have been just as leak prone.

Your trailer may be different from mine in that mine never had a clearcoat
helping to protect things until '99. But I have heard from people with
coated trailers that stripped then had leaks where before they did not.

When you strip the clearcoat you will be exposing the aluminum. It will
begin oxidizing immediately. Unless you are ready to polish now, *I* would
wait until ready to do the whole job unless I could store it indoors. But
that is me.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander owner for 12 years