[VAC] Re: Air conditioner

My 76 had the original Armstrong and it was not cooling at all when I first
bought it over a year ago. From suggestions I got from the VAC list I took
off the top cover and found that the outsidecoils were completely clogged
with dirt and had not been cleaned in years. I covered the motor with a
plastic bag and brought on the water hose on low volume. You would not
believe the dirt that came out. Next I checked the squirrel cage blower and
found that the allen set screw that holds it to the motor shaft was gone and
the blower was  spinning free on the shaft. Then I went inside and cleaned
the inside coils with a fine bristle brush, be careful not to bend them, put
everything back togetehr and it works great. Also make sure you use a good
filer. Good Luck

Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign