[VAC] Re: Water heater replacement

John,
I replaced the original Bowen hot water heater with an on-demand Precision
Temp hot water heater.  It works great.  I'm not familiar with the ones
that you mention.

The Precision Temp comes with either a flush mount or surface mount cover.
For my installation the flush mount cover was too large so I got the
surface mount cover.  The opening for the Precision Temp is smaller than
that for the Bowen so I got a piece of 2024-T3 Alclad to cover the opening
where the Bowen had been.  Next, I did the cut out for the Precision Temp
in the 2024-T3 piece.  The plumbing connections were straight forward.  The
only trick during the installation is finding and using a "crow's foot"
socket to tighten the flare fitting inside the unit for the gas connection.
 Also, the lines from the LP tank need to be at least 3/8" or 1/2".  Tom
Howarth also has the same setup and while at Precision Temp to have them
look at a problem, the service tech pointed out that the rubber line from
the regulator to the copper under belly line was only 1/4".  I checked mine
and it was 1/4" also which I have replaced with 3/8".  I am quite satisfied
with the Precision Temp.

Garnett
60 Caravanner