[VAC] Re: 1960 22" Safari

Margie,
I have a 1960 22' Safari.  I picked it up about 9 years ago in New York for
about $850, but it was closer to a basket case.  One bit of advice I offer
is that the original furnace had a recall on it many years ago and should
not be used.  Mine didn't work and I removed it to have someone look at it.
When we queried about parts availability we were told about the recall.  The
most costly appliance is the refrigerator.  Make sure it works or plan to
spend about $1000 for a replacement.  Mine was gas only, and did not work
properly.  Since I wanted to keep the interior appearance close to original,
I sent the fridge to my father in Florida and had it repaired.  They could
not repair the gas valve etc., so they changed the system over to electric.
Works great now.  Be sure to check the tires for sidewall rot.  It would be
very rare to have the tread worn, but they do rot because of the UV rays.
Rot will look like a lot of small cracks in the sidewalls.  I would also
have them put water in the system and check for leaks.  The line aft of the
water heater that goes to the rear sink is particularly prone to freezing
and cracking.  It runs by the tub and is difficult to get to if you need to
replace it.  Because of the location it doesn't naturally drain unless air
pressure is applied.  You will have to change the LP tanks next year to
comply with new laws.  Mine didn't have a converter in it, so I had to rely
on battery power for the 12V items (water pump, furnace, some lights) - not
a good situation for long-term use.  A converter will cost a couple of
hundred dollars.  The guide identified on a previous mail looks like a good
guide.  I would recommend that you decide what the trailer will be worth to
you after you purchase it and change or fix anything for your use.  Estimate
the cost of that work and add to the asking price.  If they come out close,
go for it.  Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other
questions.
Pete
pryner@interfold.com