[VAC] Re: Water heater Replacement -- 1968 Airstream (Part 1)

Are we having fun yet ?
I bought my '68 Caravel as a restoration in progress.  The previous owner
had gotten transferred, and the subdivision he moved into did not allow
trailers on the property.
He had removed the original Bowen, and bought a new Atwood.  Haden't
installed it yet - so when I got the trailer, there was a big hole in the
side.  Wasn't a problem for him - he was working on it in a garage he had
built specifically to fit it.  My garage isn't that tall - so the 'stream is
in the driveway.  For the first few months, I just had an oven liner duct
taped over the hole.  Finally got around to installing the Atwood.  It slid
into the opening snugly, but without much trouble.  Problem was how to
securely mount it.  There was nothing substantial behind the mounting holes
on the Atwood - just the outer skin of the stream.  Could have riveted it
in. but that did not seem secure.
I found that a 2 X 2 would fit nicely in the lower aluminum channel, and
loosly between the inner and outer skin.  Framed it up, with the side
members at the precise height, and the upper and lower members extending a
couple inches foreward and aft.

Used wood screws - and half a tube of Velukem behind the flanges to mount
it.
Haven't fired it up yet - the original bypass valve arrangement needs to be
reworked, as does the gas line.  BTW - one point in favor of the Atwood -
the gas line connection is on the outside of the trailer, unlike the Bowen.
Anyway, might have to shim the tank up to keep weight off of the shell - but
looks OK for now.

Took the Atwood SOB white cover off, and masked it and roughed it up with
fine grit sandpaper.  Spray painted with Rust-oleum 7716 heat resistant
silver.  Rated to 1200 F.  Not as glossy as my 'stream will be, but not a
bad match for the current finish.

Dan