[VAC] Re: 1960 22" Safari

Margie, I'm not sure how you would go about deciding if you liked the
sellers price for a 1960 Safari without knowing the condition of the trailer
and all the appliances. Vintage trailers can have serious structural
problems that are difficult and expensive to fix. Water damaged floors are
not uncommon, for example. In addition, repairing or replacing plumbing can
be a chore if it's needed. Replacing the appliances is very expensive  --
refrigerators, water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners (if so equipped),
etc.

All this is to suggest that you need to be sure what condition the trailer
is in to know if the price is reasonable and fair. It might be a bargain --
or it might be a headache. I recommend having the owners demonstrate that
all the trailer systems are functional by showing you that they all work. If
you can locate another vintage Airstream owner who would be willing to go
with you and help you evaluate the trailer, so much the better. A number of
new vintage owners have gotten burned by taking the seller's word that
everything works. A trailer deteriorates from non use and no regular
maintenance. Things can go wrong in four years of being stored.

You might also check the section on RJ's web site about evaluating vintage
Airstreams.

I hope it works out for you.

Regards,

Jim Greene