[VAC] Re: Experience & Expertise Needed - Bowen WH Removal

HI Jim,

I just wrestled my vintage Bowen out of its hole last week..  I had full
access to both the inside and outside and it was still a struggle.  The
Bowen in my 1977 Tradewind did not have any attachments beyond those on
the flange, but there was such a huge wad of caulking in the wall that
it took some slow, careful prying to get it out.  You didn't mention
anything about disconnecting the water connections, but I assume that
you were able to do this because the WH isn't going anywhere unless it's
disconnected.  One other thing that will make your life difficult is the
strips of aluminum that are pop-rivited to the inside wall that cover
the space between the hole in the inside skin and the WH.  As I said, I
had full access to the inside so I was able to remove these strips.  If
it turns out to be caulk that is holding the beast in, I recommend
careful application of a wide, flat pry bar.

Good luck,

Lincoln Soule