[VAC] Re: verseas Shipments

Hi Sharon,

Shipping an Airstream to Germany is only part of the story. A shipping company
in Hamburg did most of the work for me (shipping, customs declaration and so
on). I payed around $ 2.300 for shipping, that includes also customs duties and
tax. My trailer was shipped via Los Angeles and traveled in a freight container.

The major problem arises when you want to registrate an Airstream in Germany.
The TUEV (the German traffic authority) requests you to change some parts in
order to go conform with German traffic laws. Electrical brakes are not allowed
over here, and so you have to install a licensed type of axle with a mechanical
brake system. The same problem arises if you want to keep any appliances which
use LP gas: only licensed ovens, ranges etc. are allowed. (I wonder what those
guys will say about my forty-year-old Duo-Therm, hehe...)
I hope I will find an inspector who likes vintage camping trailers...

Airstreams are not very common in Europe. Okay, many people know them from
television or the movies, but on the road they are hard to find. Most of the
Airstream trailers in Germany had been converted into trailers used for
promotional purposes, diners or similar. I think there are no more than about
fifteen or twenty vintage Airstreams which are really used for recreational
purposes. (My own trailer will never be used for anything but its original
purpose- travelling around!!!)

I really enjoy restoring my Airstream- and I will even more enjoy travelling
around across Europe in it when the work is finally done.

Kind regards,

Lorenz Weiss