[VAC] Re: Help Needed

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Help Needed
Wow Dan, every Airstream owners nightmare.  Having dealt with 4 vehicle
"totals" in my lifetime, you are in for a battle.  Insurance companies
are not in business to give away money, and their interest lies with
their client - not you.

The only way to survive this is to document the replacement cost (not
value) of the FC by itemizing the purchase price (if within 3 years -
otherwise you have to use similar sales), restoration material/services
cost and your labor at local shop rates.  Next is to determine "value".
This is obtained through the VAC and AC want ads. For more info, check
out
 http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_pricevscondition.html.
If you had your trailer insured for a stated value with your carrier,
then you are way ahead of the game. They will usually honor that value.
If you didn't have it insured, or had it insured for "replacement cost",
then you are in worse shape.

Armed with "cost" and "value" figures, you have to set what you feel is
how much it is going to cost to replace the trailer. It doesn't matter
if it is Calif or Colorado, an antique vehicle is considered a limited
availability good, and is not subject to local values.  This value is
what you set your settlement cost at. If the insurer balks (they will),
then next step is your attorney. You must threaten legal action, and
then follow through.  The two cases I've had end up in court were always
found in my favor. If you are armed with solid substantiating
documentation, the judges rule in your favor.

To the rest of the listees.  Dan's & Ruth's experience underlines
the importance of looking closely at your insurance policy.

There are a couple of insurance agents on the list - maybe one of them
can provide more insight.

RJ
VintageAirstream.com