[VAC] Re: Hanta virus

Tuna, I understand your anger about the Hanta Virus scare, but living so
close to where someone died from it in the last year, I think perhaps
educating folks about the disease is a good thing.  The disease moves so
quickly and seems so innocuous when it starts that it is hard to take the
risk seriously enough to get to medical help in time.  Knowing if the disease
is in your area or where the trailer came from is the important thing, so
that you know if you need to be extra careful.The precautions are pretty
simple, a respirator and spraying down the mouse nests and feces and urine
trails with chlorox solution.  The dried urine dust is what carries the
virus, so you don't want to stir up the dust.  If this posting keeps someone
from getting sick, or dying, it is OK that it causes a little consternation.
If you have any question at all about it being in your area, call your local
health department.  They can give you the recommended precautions as well.
They were posted in local newspapers here last year.  Another important point
is that this disease is NOT carried by house mice, but by outdoors mice, deer
mice or field mice, I am not sure of which, so the environment where you live
will tell you a lot about what kind of mice live near you.  Probably if your
AS has never lived in the south west, you don't need to be overly concerned.
Sorry for the long post, but I see this as a real concern for some of us.

Just Plain Polly
1964 Globe Trotter
Colorado
WBCCI 7113