[VAC] Re: Re-introducing my trailer as a 65 Overlander/Question

Jeanavive,

That is an interesting situation.  I wonder if some prior owner did
something tricky?  Does the VIN on the title match the VIN stamped on the
trailer?  It should be stamped into the model plate on the curb side in
front of the door, under the window.  Is it the original model plate?

I think it would be desirable to correct that error because it could make it
very difficult to sell at a future date.  Also, if you had the bad luck to
have a major loss and the insurance adjuster knew anything about A/Ss or
used a dealer who did to assist him with determining acv, you could have a
problem.  Someone could think you were attempting to commit fraud.  Even a
vehicle inspection for registration or a roadside document check could
possibly, not likely, but possibly result in unwanted attention.  Your
trailer is, after all, registered as something it clearly is not.  How that
would be interpreted by authorities, insurance companies, or prospective
buyers is not certain.

Since you live in CA it is a judgement call.  Just raising the issue with
the CA DMV could cause some officious nut case official to possibly impound
the vehicle, refuse to register or reregister it, or some other goofy act
which I cannot even dream of.

If you are a personal friend of the seller it may be an innocent mistake but
the situation begs the question, why was it registered as a '74?  What
happened to the original title?  Are you sure you have a clean and valid
title?  Could the trailer have been stolen at some point?   Or declared a
total loss and a salvage title issued?  A deceased or confined prior owner
and some clever person got around the unavailability of a seller's signature
by substituting the title from another old trailer that was known to be in a
scrap yard?

You may want to ask a CA attorney or ask the DMV anonymously.

Harvey