[VAC] Travel log 6/16

June 16, 2001

A leisurely morning. Up in time for lunch! We drove to the library to try to find a phone jack to hook up to send email. Unfortunately the Two Harbors Public Library is closed on Saturdays until Labor Day. We drove to the Info Center and asked the ladies there where we might find a place to hook in. They suggested the Library. When we explained, they allowed us to use the phone jack there. I think part of this trip will be about learning a lesson in relying on the kindness of strangers!

After lunch Lise got to sit out on the picnic table at our site and play guitar for a while as a storm rolled over the Lake. It’s been a while since she’s been able to do that.

Later that afternoon, we joined the Emericks and Kevin Allen on a short drive north to view Gooseberry Falls and the Split Rock Lighthouse. The falls consist of three separate and spectacular cascades: the Upper, Middle, and Lower Falls. Scott took Lise’s picture as she sat with her feet hanging just over the edge of the cliff of the Middle Falls! The lighthouse wanted to charge us $6.00 a person, so we took a quick view of the parking lot loop and drove back up the road to a small wayside rest area in hopes that we might catch a glimpse of the lighthouse from a distance. Sure enough, through a small break in the trees we could see the lighthouse. Kevin’s digital camera has quite a zoom on it, so he got the best photograph!

We then joined up with the Chellmans at the lighthouse near our campground (Burlington Bay Campground in Two Harbors, Minnesota, in case I forgot to mention it by name before). This lighthouse helps ore ships navigate their way into Agate Bay’s ore docks. At Lighthouse Point we joined a group of people celebrating the longest day of the year, the Solstice. We remain a bit confused, however, because the Solstice doesn’t occur for another week or more. In any case, we ate brats (a first for Lise) and Polish sausage and enjoyed the music. One of the festivities at this celebration was a maypole dance. We all agreed we had heard of a maypole but had never seen a maypole dance in person. It was a colorful and fun event with music and calls similar to a square dance with the exception that each participant held on to the end of one or two of the brightly colored ribbons, the other ends of which were attached to a rotating hoop at the top of a very tall pole. At one point in the dance, the ribbons were all braided in a criss-cross pattern about the pole. It was quite enjoyable to watch. After the dance we took a walk out on the breakwall to watch one of the ore ships maneuver itself into the ore docks.

Later we went out for pizza. Another culinary first for Lise was eating green olives! Mmm. Salty. I don’t know that I could eat them whole by themselves, but they were ok on the pizza. We always say vacation is the time to do things we don’t do while we’re at home. Hmmm, let’s see… swarms of mosquitoes, a plague of flies, and green olives! Quite a combination so far!

Off to Chisolm, MN, tomorrow. We’ll all drive down the road together in a little four-unit caravan. On the road again! –Scott & Lise <>< S.L.SCHEUERMANN@WORLDNET.ATT.NET