[VAC] The heat is on

Hi,

I'm trying to make sense of the heat in my  '77 Tradewind.  The original
ducted furnace is still in place, but I'm not sure if it is working.  It
is a Suburban N124M, rated at 24,000 BTU input, 19,200 BTU output.
There is what seems to be an external DC power source (clearly not
original) with output wires that disappear into the unit.  In addition
to this, someone has hung a Thermax Caravan MKIIA catalytic heater on
the wall next to the entry door.  Unfortunately, I can't talk to the
previous owner to find out the story on all this.  It necessary, I'm
willing to start from scratch on the heat, but I have a few basic
questions.

1. Is the original furnace worth saving if possible?  Anything to watch
out for?
2. Does anyone have any ideas about the purpose of the external power
supply?
3. If I replace the furnace, do you have any recommendations?
4. Does anyone have experience with a catalytic heater?  Would this
alone be sufficient?

Thanks

Lincoln Soule