[VAC] Re: The heat is on

Lincoln,

Are you certain that the "external DC power source" you described is not
original?  The furnaces operated off 12 volt dc power.  You should also have
a pair of small gauge wires that connect to a separate thermostat.

You can test it by filling a tank with propane, lighting the pilot, then
turning the thermostat up to a temperature setting that will call for heat.
You might want a safety inspection first.

The original furnace in my daughter's '71 A/S works fine.  I have slept in
it overnight in cold weather several nights and am still here to write about
the experience.  The old furnace in your trailer may work fine but if you
have doubts it might be worth paying an RV shop an hour of shop labor to
check it's operation.

Things to look for might be carbon monoxide leaks, corrosion holes in the
firebox that would allow flame or heat to escape and risk igniting adjacent
wood, bad fan motor bushings, difficulty in lighting or remaining lit,
accumulated lint and dust, ................

The installed furnaces were quality appliances that will last for a long
time if not abused or neglected.

Catalytic heaters are popular with some but are mostly used as supplemental
heating.  A catalytic heater would probably not suffice for full heating
needs in cold climates.   A personal opinion.

If you decide to replace it, measure the dimensions of the unit then contact
an RV dealer or mail order supply company with your BTU ratings and
dimensions.  I think Surburban makes a replacement.

Harvey