[VAC] Re: Argosy Trim

Keith:

Good luck with your Argosy, and welcome to ownership!

1) My '75 26 has a black insert in the beltline, which I believe is
original. My exposed frame, tongue, hitch, and bananna skins are all brown,
though the brown on the frame has been repainted. The lower beltline has an
orange insert. Roy knows the brown paint code, too, altho he painted his
skins & frame black, and it looks quite nice, too. I could use a bit of both
the white and brown paint for touch-up purposes, so if you have any of
either left over after you're done, I'd be happy to buy it from you.

2) my interior trim edge pieces are also brittle and disintegrating. If you
find a source, let me know, or if there's a minumum order, I'll go in on it
with you.

I like the cream color because although it is not that far from white, the
reflectivity is quite a bit less. I keep mine in my backyard, and a 100%
white trailer would be blinding. But pure white to match your tow would look
very sharp.

3) Here is some tire info posted on the list earlier. General consensus
seems to be radials roll easier, run cooler, and give better gas mileage,
bias are stiffer and sway somewhat less. I'd go with radials on your rig,
given the length of your trailer (Some don't even use sway control below
26') and an that you're towing with a truck:

"my personal choice is to buy
Goodyear Workhorse LT (light truck) of bias ply design from SAM'S Club.  You
will not find them on the shelf but the tires can be ordered from the SAMS
special tire order catalog for about $62/tire in the 700 X 15 size, 8PR (8
ply rated).  A/S shifted over to radials several years ago and now equips
new trailers with Goodyear Marathon ST (special trailer) radials.  They can
also be purchased at your nearest SAM's Club at a significant savings over
tire dealers.  The Workhorse bias ply tires are nearly identical to the
original equipment tires on vintage units."

I will be heading right through Moline on Wed, 6/27. If you're going to be
around mid-morning, I'd love to stop by and swap Argosy questions and
answers with you, and see your trailer.

Dan Weeks
75 Argosy 26
Des Moines