[VAC] Re: Vintage Puller

Yes, Installing dual exhaust on my car didn't change engine braking a bit. I've noticed that an engine with a higher compression ratio has better engine braking.  A higher axle ratio that makes the engine turn faster will make the engine brake better too. The 10.5 to 1 compression ratio Pontiac we had almost put you through the windshield when you threw it in a lower gear to slow down. The 8 to 1 ratio Chrysler I have is pitiful by comparision.

You talkin' trucks here? My 1968 Dodge car  (with 318 engine) seems to get 17 to 18  MPG solo and 12 to 13 MPG towing the Airstream.   The 1973 wagon I have (with the 440 engine) gets 14 to 15 MPG solo and 10 MPG towing. My Dad's 1988 Suburban (fuel injected) gets 8 MPG solo and 7 MPG towing. Some engines were thirstier than others!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html