[VAC] Total Vintage experience

I know it's not for everyone, but anyone who might be considering using a
vintage tow vehicle for their vintage Airstream should consider the
following.  We just spend the weekend in Tionesta, PA at a federal
campground. It was a very nice campground! I hauled my pretty
nice looking 1971 Globe Trotter there with my 1968 Dodge Polara two door
hardtop. It's the first time I've used this combination. The car has a small
(318) v-8 engine and is a little underpowered for the
load I was asking it to pull up the 8 to 10 percent grades we have around
here. Never-the-less, I got to where I was going without overheating or
having the least bit of trouble. Once I got to the campground we received
and endless supply of comments about the car and trailer. Whenever we go
camping (without the '68 Dodge), I get a few comments
about my Airstream, since they are pretty rare around here. The comments
usually
come from somebody wanting to know how old it is to settle an argument. The
one person (of
the couple walking by)  says my Airstream is less than 10 years old, but the
spouse thinks it could be much older. When I tell them it's a 1971, they
say,  "Wow, it sure looks nice for that age."  Then the spouse turns to
their partner and says "See, I
told you it was older!".
   Well, this time, we had about two people an hour going by and commenting
about the car and how nice it looked. Of course, any car looks a lot better
with a nice silver Airstream behind it ..(.which is why you see Airstreams
in so
many commercials, I suppose). The car is no show piece, and neither is my
trailer, but
people really liked seeing it. Considering that my car came from a junkyard
(and looked it) I felt very good about all the positive comments.  I've
never had so many people speak to me in a campground!  It was a very
positive experience. I seemed like I spoke to half the people in the
campground that way.
   Hauling with a vintage car is about the same as hauling with
anything else, if the vintage hauler is properly maintained and/or upgraded.
You work with what you've got.  I've only been stranded once , and that was
because I was
sold a defective fuel pump (changed it myself along the road). If anyone is
considering using a vintage hauler,
I say, "Go for it!"  You  certainly can have an enjoyable experience.

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html