[VAC] locks - knockoffs and nice people..(a little long, but some good info).

Last year my door lock failed, locking one in and one out... after a couple
of days of concerted effort, I replaced the lock with what I believed to be
a TriMark lock which was supplied with two little double sided keys...It
was a major effort which I accomplished at the trailer park with the tools
I had with me and a few purchased at the local hardware...

To shorten the story up some, one of the keys was lost somewhere in the
Chicago area and we decided to get keys made.. The local locksmith who is
pretty well equipped, could not match the key blank... Apparently hundreds
of different lock styles are coming into the country with key blanks that
are close to, but not exactly like anything stocked.. The key we needed was
like a Fiat auto keyblank, but not close enough...

With some searching, I found the lock at the All - Rite.com site and
decided I had a TriMark 60-250 series lock...With some effort I pried the
service number of TriMark out of All-Rite and it is 800-431-8616.....

A call to TriMark and some discussion about the stampings on the key
produced the information that what I had was a Fastec lock which TriMark
said was a copy of theirs..( looks like an exact copy to me)....and they
had no idea where to contact Fastec, somewhere in Indiana they
thought...Internet searches on Fastek and Fastec brought info on financial
organizations, and everything manufactured for anyone anywhere in the
world..but nothing on locks...(I later found that Fastec locks are supplied
by a separate division within the Fastec Industrial Hardware group..)

Mary suggested I call the place where I bought the lock and I was sure that
was way too simple and while trying to make contact with the parts man at
the Quietwoods RV  in Sturgeon Bay , WI.. I contacted all my favorite
Airstream dealers.  Everyone I talked to tried to help and gave some leads
that ran out...Quietwoods called and knew what I was talking about right
away... After finding out  I was in the Chicago Area , I was given the
number for KZ trailer which uses the lock on their Sportsman series of
trailer...by now too late in the day to hook up to KZ...a call to a
Sportsman dealer came up with an out of stock answer...

A new day and a call to KZ parts and the info that if I would look at the
inside of the inside handle there is an 800 # that will answer all my
problems... but they gave me the number ... Fastec... 800-837-2505  located
in Elkhart IN..(219-262-2505)
Five minutes with the lady at the Fastec lock division parts came up with
the keys , as many as I want already cut...or blank if I preferred....I
don't have the keys yet, so I may not have solved the problem... but I am
on a high so don't rain on my parade...

Here are the numbers that were a little tough to get... easy now I know
where to look...

Fastec Lock Customer Service.  800-837-2505  located in Elkhart
IN..(219-262-2505)

TriMark Lock Customer Service..800-431-8616..

Jim Clark

jec1938@corecomm.net