[VAC] Testing the plug connection

Can someone explain to me how to test the pin connections?  I took out
my fully charged 12V battery, wired the negative side to the trailer to
ground (#10) and tried completing the circuit by having a wire (also
#10) connected to the positive side and inserting it into a pin - but I
didn't energize anything.  When hooked to the truck, lights work, but it
doesn't charge the battery or activate the brakes - so plug works, but I
probably need to rewire

Do I need to a pin connection and not a bare wire - or am I completely
going about this the wrong way?

Thanks,
Gillian
64 Globe Trotter