[VAC] Re: Soldering Aluminum Rips?

Bummer.  Aluminum skin will not solder or weld worth a darn.  I've used
the alum-alloy on extrusions, but .040 skin will vaporize just at the
point it gets hot enough to bond with the alum-alloy. (I've tried it :>(
 )

2 things going for you.  That is almost the only flat panel on the
trailer, and can be cut just before the curve starts on the sides and a
new piece put in - or you can put a large piece of aluminum sheet over
the area, riveted all the way around the perimeter and in the field -
sort of like a doubler (or armor plating....)

Secondly, it sounds like it will be behind the LP tanks, so the
alteration will be mostly hidden.  Where were the tanks while all this
was happening?

RJ
VintageAirstream.com