[VAC] Soldering Aluminum Rips?

Turns out my newly acquired Airstream has had an
accident while being moved on the property of the
seller (who still has it) which caused a rip in
the lower front panel just above the tongue. I
have not seen it yet. Has anyone ever tried
soldering aluminum rips if the aluminum is flat
enough and not rippled? I'm told it's about a
foot or less (although she wasn't very clear).

It sounds like Bruce's rip will not show. This is
not the case on mine. It apparently in clear
view.

I have experience soldering, working, and
polishing various metals on a small scale (like
jewelry and small sculpture). Though I've used
mostly brass, gold, silver, platinum, and
non-precious metal mixes, I think I have soldered
small amounts of aluminum before and I'm thinking
about giving it a test on a spare piece to see if
it can be done. I mean, don't plumbers solder on
aluminum piping or am I confused? Otherwise, I
guess I will have to replace the panel (yuck, was
not interested in replacing panels when I bought
this trailer)... Is it true that the cost is
around $500 to replace a panel or was that just a
nightmare I had?

Jill
injured '59 Ambassador