[VAC] Re: Exhaust brakes - A word of caution

Title: Re: [VAC] Re: Exhaust brakes - A word of caution
I haven’t had any experience using them, but the Jacobs Jake Brake is slightly different from exhaust brakes in that it changes the valve timing, whereas exhaust brakes restrict the flow of the exhaust to apply back pressure.   I believe Jake brakes make a lot more noise in operation than exhaust brakes.

I have ridden on buses equipped with them, and they were set up the same way, i.e. when turned on, releasing the throttle activates the Jake brake.   As I mentioned in my previous post, it’s possible to activate it manually by turning it on or off with your foot off the pedal.  I don’t know how they’re set up in the big rigs.

Don