[VAC] Re: Re Packing Wheel Bearings

Gerald,
 IF the brakes never got TOO hot, that regular grease might have been
OK. In normal driving, I've found my wheel hubs stay right at 'ambient',
as measured with one of those temperature guns. (or my hand; I have no
hubcaps on my trailer for that very reason)

I can nearly always find a suitable socket for pressing in a new race,
or I'll turn something on the lathe in short order.

Although you're probably right about always replacing the outer race if
the rollers are damaged in any way, I've found that it's often OK and
I'll sometimes reuse it. Probably not the best idea, but I've never had
a failure due to doing things that way. This most recent replacement was
that way, the outer race looked fine to me and probably would have been
OK to reuse with the new cone.

I didn't spin the wheel to see if there was a rumble before tearing it
apart, so can't say if it would have been noisy. It probably would have,
at least a little bit. I saved the old bearing and will try to get a
picture of it one of these days and put it on the Web Site.

                                             <<Jim>>