[VAC] Re: rusty frames?

Jill,

Re-riveting a dropped belly pan is not hard to do for a "non-wussy girl" -
IF THERE ARE a few extra hands around that will do exactly what you want
them to do. I've done this job four times on different trailers. I had never
done anything like it before doing it the first time and I'm not a mechanic
in any sense of the word.

Each time I re-riveted the belly pan, I learned a few more tricks to make
the job easier for me the next time. These techniques evolved out of my need
to do the job right and for greater personal convenience and comfort while
doing it. I'm sure others on this list have their own techniques. When they
share them - I'll learn more even though I hope to never re-rivet another
belly pan.

1 - It helps when I either lift the rear of the trailer (usually that's the
area where I'm working on the belly pan) with a chain hoist or drive up on
blocks (as many as the situation will tolerate). Having shoulder room while
under the trailer is extremely helpful to me, especially when trying to get
sufficient purchase on the rivet gun while laying on the ground and holding
the gun in awkward positions. It helps me to do limbering up exercises
before I start <grin>. As you may have suspected, I'm no spring chicken.

2 - I've used one or two small bottle jacks (with pieces of wood at the top
to distribute the upward force) as helpful hands for holding the belly pan
in place while I re-riveting.

3 - One or two locking pliers are helpful hands for temporarily holding
specific sections of the pan and banana wrap in place and keeping the
alignment correct, while I'm re-riveting another section.

4 - Always, I have a minimum of two rivet guns (different brands) before I
start and it's not uncommon for one of them to jam. Instead of fussing
around with it, I use the other one (carefully) and complete the job.

5 - It helps to start with a full box of pop rivets (500 in the box) so I
don't have to make a trip to the store and buy more while in the middle of
the job.

6 - Everyone's comfort level is different, but I like using a piece of wood
(2" x 4" x 12") wrapped with a scrap of rug (and stapled to the wood) for
resting my head off the floor while under the trailer. Otherwise, my neck
gets sore from holding it up to see what I'm doing. Laying my head on the
ground while on my side is never comfortable.

7 - Because the bifocal on my regular glasses is at the bottom and most of
the re-riveting seems to be in the central and upper portion of my glasses,
I use my computer glasses (entire lens is a prescription for sharp vision at
28") so I can clearly see everything my hands can reach.

8 - A watch cap pulled down over my ears keeps dirt from falling in my ears
while under the trailer. The cap helps to keep my glasses in place.
Yesterday, while in the paint store, I saw a facial mast for spray painters
($1.49) that looked like it might be useful if I ever do this job again.

9 - I have long sleeve coveralls (no belt) for rolling around on the
pavement or in the dirt while under the trailer. One time near Boise, Idaho,
I used my short sleeve coveralls when it was 101 degrees outdoors. The dirt
that fell into the sleeve holes ended up causing abrasions on my body from
rolling around under the trailer. I prefer sweating than having abrasions.

10 - Jill, with you being your own restorer for a lot of the work, it might
help to think of dropping the belly pan, fixing whatever needs to be fixed
or painted and then re-riveting the belly pan - as one of the rights of
passage. Otherwise, it's easy to think of the job in far less favorable
terms. <grin>

Enjoy,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net