[VAC] Restoration tool philosophy (long and delirious)

Ahhhh tools... to buy or not to buy, that is the question....The answer to
many of us is not only yes, but xxxx yes... never mind that I already have
one almost like it, this one is better....( and a host of other good reasons)

As one who has more money invested in tool boxes than a lot of folks have
in tools, I feel fully qualified to offer advice in how not to fall into
the trap of needing the tool for the tools sake rather than for what you
need done.. If you get a kind of soothed soul feeling just from handling
the tools, forget the rest of this, you are already hooked hard and won't
listed to friends, family or professional advisers when it comes to
tools....Our local up scale contractor supply house, Berlin tools, has TV
advertising featuring the "tool man" and has songs about the "tool nut"..
They cater to the hard case where the tools go for $500.00 a pop and  a lot
of the customers are spending company money....I must admit, however, that
they have taken mine with a smile....Their depiction of the "tool nut"
makes the football addict look like the most dedicated family man.....

One must look at serious tool addictions as something that forces out other
pleasures in life... there is no room in the basement for pool tables, or
other space invading items like bars, chairs, tables etc... no ping pong
etc....any effort to put the kids train set up permanently must be met with
firm resolve... what's wrong with the family room ... nobody in there right
now is there????

It's hard to hit a middle ground where the space that can be allocated for
storage is enough to keep the tools, and be able to use them from time to
time....One answer is the bigger house, or the shop building in back...or
both... ( about now you are saying this is the most ridiculous drivel I
have ever read..)

The point I am trying to make is that if you have survived to adult status,
with few tools, and don't get any particular joy from collecting them, it
does not make a lot of sense to buy a bunch of them to work on an Airstream
unless you intend to work on more than one... ie use the tools more than
one season....A lot of specialty tools can be rented for the job at hand
and when you are done with them, you don't have to allocate storage space
to them...but, you say if I rent them for any length of time, I have spent
the money it would have cost to buy them (almost).. might as well have my
own...cheaper in the long run...only if you charge 0.00 to clean, store and
drag them around....Any charge allocated to tool upkeep times 10 or 15
years will swamp out the cost of several of most tools...And there is the
parts availability for older tools... I have lots of tools that will see
the trash can if they slow down,.. the companies that made them are long
out of business....or the importer is long gone...

A good reason to not get too involved in the heavy restoration when you are
not already inclined in that direction, is that serious injuries can result
from simple mistakes that come from lack of basic experience... If you play
the piano, or make a living from any of the other avocation that require
all your fingers and toes, paying someone else who already has the money
spent to build the shop, buy the tools, train the workers, etc.etc.is not
such a bad idea.. The time element should also be considered... do you want
enjoyment from working on the trailer or traveling in it???? A professional
restoration will get the unit on the road in the time you are spending
looking for the right tools...

If you have your eye on the real fixer upper... rotten floors, broken
windows, sagging door, etc... consider getting a better trailer, and
forgoing the pleasures of doing a "body off restoration"...Obviously each
of us looks at the project in a different way.. If you are an accomplished
cabinet maker, a new inside is not that big a challenge...If your bent is
metal work and the English roll is something you can use without cutting
your fingers off, then a big dent in the front or back is not show
stopping...but if your idea of tools is what you have in the kitchen drawer
and your basement is a finished recreation room, I suggest concentrating on
cleaning, polishing, and best of all dragging the trailer around the country...

To the true tool man, my apologies for the above. The sad day will come
when you walk through a good tool store and realize that you have at least
one of every tool they have in stock...

To the new owner that has decided to convert him or herself to a "handy"
type... good luck...and proceed carefully...

Jim