[VAC] Re: furnace

Catalytics are unvented heaters, and as such pose potentially fatal hazards
when run in small, tightly-sealed environments such as trailers. Also, they
produce water as a byproduct of combustion, so running them continuously in
cold climates can produce condensation. I'm wrestling with the same problem,
though. I'd love to ditch my furnace and use something more efficient,
quiet, thermostatically controlled, small, and gas powered. It's a tall
order. Best bet seem to be direct-vent LP heaters. Dickenson
www.dickensonmarine.com makes a slick little 10,000 btu direct-vent gas
unit, but it has no thermostat and is a bit small in output for our -20
degree, 30-mph wind iowa winters, though I'd love to hear from anyone who's
installed one if they are powerful and quiet enough for real cold. I've
gotten by last winter with a couple  electric ceramic heaters, one a pelonis
Flex Furnace II www.pelonis.com which works great in all respects, but
aren't gas. I love being able to move the thing around and direct heat where
you need it also. Would love to hear thoughts on this and rip out my
suburban, which is terribly inneficient and leaks cold air in great
quantities when it's not running.

Of course, if I do find a solution to space heating, then I'd need to find a
solution for keeping the three tanks and all lines from freezing. Heat tape?
Strategically placed lightbulbs? Would welcome all suggestions. Don't mind
using electric for that, as I suspect the cost of keeping water at 40
degrees is considerably less than keeping a whole trailer at 65 or so.

Dan
75 Argosy 26
Des Moines