[VAC] Re: Brake Controllers

My take-away message from the recent discussion(s) on the two airstream
lists is that the most truly proportional braking is the hard-to-find
(discontinued two years ago) Kelsey-Hayes Hydraulic/Electric - last two
models were the 81739 and 81740... and similar units by Warner. Be warned
that many, if not most, RV shops believe that these are incompatible with
ABS systems and won't 'risk' installing them - manufacturer's instructions
to the contrary notwithstanding. My preferred local RV shop still stocks all
the tee fittings and lines for these, but not the controllers, and won't
install them, either.

I have used a former version of the Jordan Research Ultima 2020, which
derives its 'proportional control' via cable linkage to the brake pedal
itself. Were I unable to find a hydraulic controller, i'd use the Jordan.

I'm satisfied using the tekonsha 'ramp' controller (uses a small amount of
current from the brake-lights to initiate braking) on the RV, since i'm only
towing a 15' boat with it - and small-boat trailers typically don't use
trailer brakes (at least, i've never heard of submersible electric trailer
brakes) - so it will only be used for short local camping trips if i decide
to haul the Airstream, the utility trailer, or the Burro with the RV...

I'm using the Ultima 2020 on the Prowler, to tow the Burro, since good
braking on this rig is essential - the Burro is right at the limit of the
Prowler's 1,000lb/100lb tongue wt. rating. The Prowler's GVW is 2300lbs, but
actual weight is quite a bit lower...The rear-wheel gearing is already
plenty adequate, but will improve even further with the new ProwlerPro
gearset; the transmission already has a cooler - stock - and plenty of
torque and horsepower. The Mopar 'Auto-Stick' feature allows a manual
override of the automatic shift points, and is perfect for towing. I'm still
considering possible load-distribution for this combination, but i seriously
doubt the necessity, if the little trailer is properly loaded... i think i
can accomplish adequate 'sway-control' using a pair of ordinary
'door-closers', or hatch-back lifts - still cogitating on that one.

I do have a distinct dis-preference for 'inertial' or 'pendulum'
controllers - although many people seem to like them - my experience with
only one kind was that it needed almost constant 'tweaking' for optimum
performance under changing conditions.

I'm using the 'antique' early 50's Kelsey-Hayes controller on the '49
Jeepster, for a bit of 'authenticity'...
It, too, is an adjustable 'ramp' type controller that straps to the steering
column, with a cool control stick for manual override of the trailer's
brakes - this will be used with the Airstream... If it proves inadequate, i
may try to stuff an Ultima 2020 into the control box, or adapt it for use
with another hydraulic controller, or maybe even the new Tekonsha Prodigy -
a new type of inertial controller that might change my mind about inertial
controllers... it's supposed to be available this month - May, 2001.

Tuna
So Many Toys, So Little Time...
WBCCI#8862/VAC
Reno, NV