[VAC] Hydraulic-Actuated Electric Trailer Brake Controllers

On page 3 of the 2001 Chevrolet "Trailering Guide" under the heading "Trailer Brakes", the following statement appears in the middle of the paragraph:  "In addition, you should not tap into your vehicle's brake system if that brake system will use more than 0.02 cubic inches of fluid from your vehicle's master cylinder."

Ford Motor Company does not address the question in any of the printed material it distributes that I have seen and I have not inquired of Ford Motor Company or Ford dealerships.  I don't know about Chrysler Corporation, Daimler-Benz, or Dodge dealers.

I use the K-H controller on a '94 Ford after tapping into the rear ABS brake line as recommended by a Hayes-Lemmerz company spokesman and a local RV dealer.  It works great providing trailer braking modulated to match truck braking.  In several thousand miles of towing with the controller installed I have been forced to make several hard stops with the trailer in tow.  Stopping ability of the combined 13,500 pounds of truck and trailer is better than with the truck alone.  I have also made a number of hard stops in fast moving city traffic without the trailer when a traffic light suddenly changed from green to red.  The rear ABS brakes operate exactly as designed and as they did prior to installation of the K-H controller.  Rear ABS kicks in and modulates the rear brakes to prevent lockup and skidding.

Printed literature provided with the Kelsey-Hayes hydraulic actuated electric brake controller kit model number 81740C states: "ALL KELSEY HYDRAULIC ACTUATED ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLERS REQUIRE LESS THAN .02 CUBIC INCH (0.3 CUBIC CENTIMETERS) OF FLUID FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER."

Another statement that appears in the Kelsey-Hayes Tee fitting application chart states: "Kelsey-Hayes controllers are compatible with Ford light trucks and vans equipped with anti-lock brake systems."

On the outside of the box that the K-H controller model 81740C is shipped in the following word are printed: "Meets Current Automobile Manufacturers Hydraulic Brake Fluid Displacement Requirements."

I am not familiar with the federal regulation cited but I think we can safely assume that if literature distributed by the Chevrolet division of General Motors Corporation cautions only against the use of trailer braking systems that use more than a specified amount of brake fluid, and Kelsey-Hayes states unequivocally that hydraulic-electric brake controllers use less than that specified amount, meet manufacturer's specifications, and can be used, the controllers probably don't violate federal regulations.

Tapping into the brake lines of the towing vehicle does not reduce the hydraulic braking pressure applied to the brakes fed by the line that has been tapped nor does it alter the braking pressure or balance between the front and rear brakes.

In any case, the Kelsey controllers work exceptionally well when installed.  The difference between using that old-fashioned K-H controller that is no longer manufactured or sold and is generally disparaged by RV dealers and using the modern pendulum type controllers is like the difference in towing a trailer equipped with brakes and one with no brakes at all.

I don't sell brake controllers or any other automotive or trailer products, I simply want to state the facts as I know them.  Everyone is free to make their own choices about equipment and to express opposing opinions.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC
'94 Ford F250HD
'93 Airstream Excella 34', 84 Airstream Excella 31', '66 Airstream Safari 22'