[VAC] Re: Window Latch Leaks

Hi Dan Weeks,

It may be heresy or something, but I doubt that the factory forgot to
install rivets!  What I've found on the inner skin of my Safari so far is
that water intrusion corroded the rivets to the point where they separated.
As I went along an entire wall, as the bit touched the rivet head, it spun
loose.  So, I went ahead and replaced all the rivets in the area where I
thought water had been a problem (from the A/C and the stove hood vent.

Don't know for sure, but it might be a good idea to remove a few rivets in
the area of those that are missing and see how secure they are.  An olympic
rivet with a gasket will adequately seal where ever  you remove a rivet.

At one time when I looked at a '78 Argosy, I detected rust where the end
caps attached to the body.  Later, I was informed that the end caps were
aluminum.  I'm sure it was rust that I was observing.  If it was rust,
galvanic action would compromise aluminum buck rivets.

                                                       '69 Safari, Joy