[VAC] I'm considering purchasing a FWD tow vehicle.

All,

I'm thinking about buying a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible with a 500CID (8.2 liter) Fuel Injected (Rare).

What's the opinion about using it for a tow vehicle?

This vehicle uses the FWD drive system similar to the FWD GMS motor homes of the same era.  I've found out that there are two different gear sets that work in this car, 2.73 (standard) and 3.07 (optional).

Some stats':

It has auto-load-levelling.
215HP / 400 lb.-ft torque
Wheelbase 126.3 (long)
The frame is reinforced for the convertible body style, actually,  the convertible weighs more than the coupe.
With a load leveling hitch, is there any reason why this couldn't pull a fairly large trailer.

Some problem I've found reported:

Weak ball joints.
Rusty floor pans (typical for any convertible I suppose)
heating up of the steering column. ( The left exhaust wraps around the steering column to clear the transmission )
Double walled exhaust rusting and collapsing, causing the exhaust to plug up.
Thanks

bobb
--

    http://64.33.167.222/