[VAC] Re: Vintage haulers and unleaded fuel

Concerning my 1968 Dodge Polara vintage hauler:

Before I left on my trip Friday, I detected a "ping" in my exhaust system
that sounds to me like a leaking exhaust valve. (The pinging is NOT spark
knock!! I only hear it in the exhaust)   I have low compression in one
cylinder (not too bad, however) and I can hear my starter motor run a bit
faster every time it goes around to that piston. I've known about this low
compression for three years now, but the pinging in the exhaust was new last
week.  I figured that my exhaust valve was getting worse. This is a 318 V-8.

I drove over the mountains of Pennsylvania at speeds up to 65 MPH hauling a
pop-up camper (about 1000 pounds). I used 89 octane gas, but purchased 93
octane on the way home.  NO lead substitute!  Now I don't hear the pinging
sound any more. It got better!  I got 16.3 MPG (not bad for a '68 full size
car) and I had a nice drive.

I guess I won't be able to tell if I need lead substitute until I tear the
engine down ...which I hate to do when it's running so well. I used no oil
and at 2500 miles since my last oil change, the oil still looks almost new.

After reading all you folks wrote and looking at my own experience, I guess
we can say the "jury is still out" about the entire subject:    Do we need
lead substitute or not ???

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html