[VAC] Re: Window Latch Leaks

In doing major caulking to my 75 Argosy 26, I've found and fixed several
leaks, but need help with one. I'll list those I fixed first, in case they
may be useful to others, and save the question for last:
€ several rivets pulled though their holes on the roof. dabed with Vulkem
116
€ caulk failed in seams. Dug old out with tiny slotted screwdriver.
Recaulked with vulkem 116 using a syringe sold to inject marinade into meat.
Just used the syringe, not the needle that came with it. Smaller hold made
much neater bead than caulk tube nozzle. Also, very efficient with use of
caulk, and syringe easy to maneuver and use while lying on roof.
€  Factory missed a few rivet holes. Dabbed with caulk.
€  Seal for lense of floodlight on side forward of door shrunk and failed.
Water leaked into reflector, ran down bulb socket and wires to floor.
Lacking another gasket, and being impatient, I rebedded the lense in a tiny
bead of vulkem. Leak solved. If I ever need a new bulb, I may need a new
lense, too, though!
€ Leaks around front windows. resealed all forward glass inside and out with
vulkem

Now, my problem. a sizeable leak remained, showing itself as water dripping
from the inlet to the water tank. *(I've temporarily removed the tank).
Removed the front center interior panel, and found evidence that dirty water
had been leaking in at the portside window latch, running down the
insulation and dripping from the water tank inlet onto the floor. A smaller
leak at starboard side latch. THis has to have been happening for years, as
the floor is soft there (repaired today with drilling and epoxy, as
recommended earlier. Seems to have worked quite well.) Noticed there are no
seals around these latches where they go through the window frames. Can see
that water has pooled on the frame and run in through the latch. Now--all my
window seals appear to be original and all are checked and cracked, though
the windows dog down tightly. Is the leak caused by these faulty seals? If
so, where can I get new gasket material? And it still seems as though the
latch needs a seal of some sort==what happens if you leave a window open in
the rain? Is this a common problem? How solved?

Also--floor very soft outboard of the water pump, under the forward portside
window above the dining table. Water pump or hose leaks common, or is this
the result of another window leak?

Thanks, all for the information that has allowed me to get this far with the
sealing job.

Dan Weeks
Des Moines
75 Argosy 26